Up to now, it has been difficult to set up multilingual WordPress sites without English. However, this technical reason is no longer relevant and with the WPML 3.3 version you will thus be able to create multilingual sites without English or where English is not the default language.
- Enter texts in the WordPress admin in the site’s default language, not just in English incl. site name, tagline, widgets, etc.
- Define the source language for different texts, the theme or plugins
- String translation allows you translate from any language to any other language
- Existing sites remain unchanged and are not affected
- Improved integration with translation services
- Improved stability via automated unit & integration tests
For the beta version, the WPML team has kindly been asking for your help in testing. There have still been some (known) issues with Gravity Forms, their Layouts plugin as well as some minor performance issues for instance. As many of you have been as excited about this new version as we were, they have received a lot of valuable feedback. The new update can now be downloaded right from within your WPML account.
Along with above update, the WPML team has announced a roadmap for the near future. Soon, you will enjoy support for taxonomy meta, a revamped user interface (UI) and translation workflow for WooCommerce Multilingual as well as improved language switchers.