A few days ago James from WPMU DEV surprisingly announced the end of life of virtually all their WordPress plugins including MarketPress, CoursePress, and Membership 2 Pro. Actually more than 90% of their 100+ premium plugins are now freely available on their GitHub site. This affects the Pro Sites plugin as well. However, WP Ultimo just announced some pretty good news for its users!
[Update] WP Ultimo officially released their Pro Sites Migrator at the end of May 2019!
WP Ultimo aims to achieve the same goal as Pro Sites. Built on top of WordPress Multisite, it allows you to build a network of premium sites and can serve as a replacement for WPMU DEV’s retired plugin. However, it does things a little differently than what you’re used to, so check out their detailed post to find out whether it fits your needs. They’re currently working on a migration tool.
Check out some of the features that are unique to WP Ultimo:
- Domain Mapping integration with managed WordPress hosting providers including WP Engine, cPanel, Cloudways, RunCloud, and Closte
- Webhooks and direct integration with Zapier
- Customers can register custom domains upon signup (available via OpenSRS with more resellers being added soon)
- Support for WooCommerce and WooCommerce Subscriptions
- Admin Pages Creator: Add fully customized Admin Pages to your customers’ dashboard using Elementor, Beaver Builder, and Brizy templates
- Two Admin themes to customize the dashboard of your customers: Material WP and PRO
- Support for Template Overrides
- Search and Replace API
Migration Tool + Help Wanted
Since the initial announcement, they made a lot of progress on their Pro Sites → WP Ultimo migrator. It now already handles coupons, plans, transactions, settings, blog templates, domain mappings, and more. It even deactivates incompatible WPMU DEV plugins for you on the last step. Additionally, it also moves subscriptions maintaining the links to PayPal and Stripe. Thus, you won’t have to ask your customers to re-add their credit card details or PayPal accounts.
There are still some details to work out, but they are pretty confident that they’ll have beta ready to be tested in real-life scenarios by the end of next week.
As they were not Pro Sites users, the networks they are using to run tests are dummy networks built for development purposes. If your hosting provider supports staging environments and you want to help develop the migrator, they would love to run some tests on a staging version of your real-life network. The migrator is not destructive – which means that it doesn’t really change or remove any of your original Pro Sites data – but that shouldn’t matter anyway on a staging environment. Just get in touch with them!
WP Ultimo, a WordPress multisite plugin, enables you to launch your very own Website as a Service platform. Easily create subscription tiers and charge customers recurring fees to have premium DIY sites hosted in your network.