Shopify just introduced online store app extensions. A new, simpler way to use apps to customize Shopify storefronts. With these extensions, your app can add custom features and sections to the new online store design experience. Learn more about how to leverage these new tools.
Online Store App Extensions
Previously, adding apps to Shopify storefronts has been quite difficult and frustrating for both merchants and developers. The code had to be manually inserted into the themes. At the same time, finding the right place in a theme was a rather time-consuming task.
At Shopify Unite 2019, Shopify announced a brand new online store design experience enabling sections on all online store pages. Good news, it’s now available in developer preview for all partners. Later this year it will then be rolled out to merchants as well. This developer preview also comes with two new app extensions that will drastically improve the usability of apps on the storefront. Welcome app sections and app snippets which will help apps fit into the new online store design experience.
- App sections allow your app to create custom sections that can easily be added, removed, and configured right from the online store editor
- Merchants automatically get access to sections once an app is installed
- With app sections, merchants will never have to deal with any code to place and configure your app on their storefronts
- Merchants can simply assign app sections to any spot in their theme
- Moving sections can be done via drag & drop
- By uninstalling an app, the section will also be removed and the app code will be cleaned up thoroughly
- App snippets allow you to add small code blocks to existing frame, page, and content theme sections
- Snippets allow apps to include code partials to be rendered in a theme Liquid file
- They also allow for more precise injection points within existing sections
- When uninstalling an app, Shopify automatically removes app snippets
For starters, app sections can only be tested on product pages. However, more pages will become available in the coming months.