We have used quite a few banner ad management plugins for our WordPress projects in the past. Unfortunately, we have not been fully satisfied due to various reasons. These plugins were either not actively developed (OIOpublisher), lacked ecommerce features (WP AdCenter) or had some issues in terms of UX and UI such as the Ads Pro Plugin.
Earlier this year, we have luckily come across Advanced Ads which is actively developed by Thomas Maier of Webgilde GmbH.
WP Advanced Ads
Advanced Ads is problaby the best WordPress ad management plugin available. Why? Well, we are using it here on stubble.IO for several months now and love it ever since. And we’re pretty sure that you are going to love it too.
Please note, that we’ll introduce the paid version in this post.
Compared to the previously mentioned plugins, it comes with all the features one needs to publish, manage and sell all kind of ads on WordPress sites. As it would lead too far to list all the features here, we will concentrate on its feature highlights.
- Create, manage & display an unlimited number of ads
- Ad rotation based on customizable ad weight
- Multiple advertisers per ad space
- Loads of placement options, e.g. Ads on random post positions, background ads, ads in middle of a post
- Split tests
- Option to enable display & visitor conditions, e.g. Ad based on post age, user agent & browser language
- Option to sell ads via Selling Ads add-on (WooCommerce)
- Support of shortcodes & Google AdSense (incl. new InFeed & InArticle ad types)
- Option to allow all ad types on AMP pages
- Option to set expiry date & time
- Wizard for creating & publishing ads
- Support of Autoptimize, bbPress, WPML, BuddyPress & Paid Memberships Pro
Free & Paid Add-ons
Basically, Advanced Ads is a free plugin which can be extended via numerous add-ons, both free and paid.
- Advanced Ads Pro (From €39)
- Tracking (From €29)
- Responsive Ads (From €29)
- Selling Ads (From €29)
- Sticky Ads (From €19)
- PopUp & Layer Ads (From €19)
- Geo Targeting (From €19)
- Slider (Potentially free with a purchase by sharing an add-on before checkout, else €9)
- Genesis Ads (Free by signing up to their newsletter)
Selling Ads, for instance, allows you to sell ads per day, impressions and clicks via PayPal, Stripe or invoice. Alternatively you can define custom conditions. One of the reasons for us choosing Advanced Ads was the fact that it is built on WooCommerce. Therefore, you can use virtually any third-party WooCommerce extension.
Pricing, Support & Updates
Advanced Ads Pro can be purchased from as low as €39 for a Single Site license. However, there is also a free version available which comes with limited features. Paid single add-ons can be yours from just €9.
The All Access Pass, however, gets you access to both existing and future paid add-ons. Pricing for the bundle starts from €69 for a Single license, €129 for up to 5 sites, and €249 for up to 20 sites. That’s a savings of up to 70% compared to the purchase of single add-ons. Upon purchase you will receive one year of free updates and support. Please note that your license will automatically renew after one year unless cancelled.
Alternatively, you might want to go for the All Access Pass Long Term offer which comes with four years of support and updates and no automatic renewals at all. Available from just €169 for a Single license.
Webgilde are providing an online manual and tutorials.
We have originally purchased the Pro Bundle via MarketPress and had some issues with activating our licenses. Thomas, however, has been very responding in solving this issue. Also he helped us with some minor issues on our site.